Brand: DROPS Paris
Colour: Solids (both saturated and less so)
Content: 100% cotton
Thickness: 75m/50g (150m/100g)
Country of origin: EU
Suggested needle/hook size: 5mm
I bought Paris for the first time as it was “nice not-wool” for a friend who can’t wear woollen items. I made the hat and got some leftover grey yarn. It was nice, if dull, to knit, as I tend to get easily bored with monochrome work.
Now, of the leftovers I made a small amigurumi mouse for my son…
…and then I bought some colours, as I really liked the feel of that yarn.
Really, I love it. It is made of several strands (8, I think), which plied together make for soft and reasonably strong yarn. Now, 2 years later, I have a crocheted mouse, a blanket:
1. Pieces arranged before stitching
2. During sewing:
3. Sewn together, partial border crocheted:
Now my son is keeping it in his bed and I can’t take a photo of the finished version.
And a bag :) (two different light settings, one for each side ;))
I can reasonably say: I WOULD BUY MORE.
Beginners? Yes, definitely. Undoes with no issue, no fuzz (it’s cotton!), wears out a bit after a few crochet/undo sessions, but not a lot. Before, I wrote it’s not good for beginners, but my son, who just started crocheting this year, actually liked it a lot. I WILL buy more, if he wants to make another mouse or anything.
My name is Srebrna and I have a little problem with blankets.
A big amount of yarn made its way into my hands over the last few years – gifts, destashes and so on. None of these could be made into something specific due to limited amount of each colour/type, so I decided to divide all that stuff into colours and make blankets.
Blanket one: Earth colours. Bunch of squares, made into a 10×10 square, bordered in shaded green. It usually rides with us in the car and is used in case someone is cold and the AC doesn’t kick in.
Blanket two: Purples. Also a bunch of squares, but organised a bit differently. Still Work In progress, 8 squares and the border waiting to be finished.
Blanket three: Blues. Squares of various blues and some off-whites, all about 30 cm. All crocheted, but not sewn together. Will go to my son’s room and serve as the bed cover.
Blanket four: Purple & cream round ripple. Made from DROPS Andes yarn, 10 balls. Only one planned more or less properly. Used Excel to calculate optimum usage of yarn.
Blanket five: Cotton. Specifically DROPS Paris. Hexagons trimmed with light gray yarn, of varying pattern inside. Still crocheting them, but I expect this one to be quite a headache when it comes to sewing it.
Blanket six: Purple hexagons. Bunch of pinks, purples and creams from various similar-sized DROPS yarns (karisma, lima, merino extra fine). Made up only of “African flower” hexagons. Hopefully it’ll be pretty. Still only part of the hexagons done.
Blanket seven: Green& brown hexagons. Kind of followup on number one, only in different shapes. Still some odds and ends of earth-toned yarn left, plus I found some green yarn probably older than me in a box, so I need to use it up. Hexagons are more effective than squares.
…ya, a little problem.
Ripple blanket – here’s the pattern
Just finished my new blanket. Took me less than a week – yarn I needed arrived on Wednesday and the whole thing was done on Sunday. Pretty quick.
I should probably start at the beginning.
Some time ago there was a sale on DROPS yarns (very nice stuff in general) and I bought some random balls in colours that seemed interesting. “Andes” was one of these and finally I made a cowl/scarf thing out of it. Which was a total failure, because the outcome was way too thick and stiff. Probably I used a hook some sizes too small. Well.
So this week I undid it and added some cream Andes to it as a contrast, took a 8mm hook and hooked a round ripple blanket. In three days (was kind of busy on Saturday). After work only.
So, here’s the outcome. Photographed inside, no natural light, so colours are a bit wrong, but it’s, in general, somewhat purple-ish. It’s 130 cm in diameter (from point to point) and it covers my new armchair quite nicely :)
First, something completely unrelated, but anytime I think “afghan”,
I get this song in my ears, hard to get rid of. See 1:04. I get this song – see 1:40. (sorry for the atrocious quality, but the nicer one was removed ;<)
Now, watched the song? So here’s my afghan:
Nasty mobile photo taken with a shaky hand, but it gives the general idea. It’s 150 x 125cm currently, 1,4kg of wool, acrylic, mixed wool/acrylic and some other, unlabeled yarns. No cotton, silk or alpaca, though.
I kind of started with various leftovers from other projects – I separated them into “earth” colours (green, brown, beige, mustard, white), pinkish (all kinds of pink, purple and violet) and others, of which i don’t have enough to make them a class of themselves.
But when the amount of squares or part-squares grew, I saw I have too much of some hues and way too little of others. Meanwhile I ordered a package of yarn in which I got (among others) 4 balls of extremly slick yarn, very hard to work on needles or mill. Hook deals with it easily.
Over time I bought some yarn for that purpose – Crazy Colour in 3 coloursets, some brown Alize yarns, then found some squares from an afghan once planned but never finished, so I added these, with some framing in brown or green, to blend it in. Some flat plain squares, too.
I crochet on my way to work or back, I crochet on conference calls, on workshops and on presentations. It’s really good I can crochet without watching more than a few seconds, so I’m able to work quite quickly, especially in case of granny squares.
Now, looking at the leftover green/brown/gray yarn I have 350g, which would mean at least another 4-big-squares row added, if I manage to get these properly calculated.
I really hope to get it to some reasonable, useful size.